Life Goes On

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Good Deed For The Day

I did a good deed today.
Good for me.
I took my friend's mother to her doctor appointment.
In the pouring rain.

I drove to her house, 20 minutes away.
Drove her car to her appointment, 35 miles away.
Held the door open for an extremely elderly woman on a walker and her daughter.
She probably should have been in a wheel chair.
Then I thought about it, she might have had a hip replacement.......walking is expected.
She was just so small and old, slightly moaning at every small step.

I went back and sat down, waiting for my friend's mother to come out.
I wear braces on both legs and walk with a cane.
I watched out the window as the daughter helped the small old woman to the car.
Such an ordeal.
I remember being that bad off.

My friend's mom comes out, we walk out to her car.
Drive back to her house.
I go in, use the facilities.
Call my son to make sure he got home from school.
Ask him what he wants for dinner.
He says Burger King, no, make it McDonald's.
Ok, I'll be home in about half an hour.
The phone rings, it's my friend.
I say hello, make small talk, please call me at your earliest convenience.

I know my friend blew his mom off, he avoided her phone calls all day yesterday.
I volunteered to take her if she couldn't reach him.
Funny how he was able to call her five minutes after we walked in the door.
We've been friends for 17 years, I love him with all my heart.
I absolutely do not condone his avoidance of his mother.
I wish every day that I still had my mother to do things for.
She gives me $20 for gas which is ridiculous, but I had to take it, she insists.
4 hours
$20
2 good deeds
Not a bad day at all.