Life Goes On

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Paha Sapa


TheBlack Hills

If you are watching Into the West. Episode 5 was devoted to Custer's Last Stand and the Dakota Territory. This was filmed in Calgary and New Mexico, and I was struck by how much the background reminded me of the Black Hills.

I've always had a fascination for The Sioux Indians. My parents bought a set of Encyclopædia Britannica and with their purchase they received a set of History Books, among that extra set was a book on the Sioux Indians. From ever since I can remember that book was one that I read over and over and over again. I loved that book, I loved the pictures. I'm sure it's out of print but I'd like to have it again.

Most of the Sioux characters are wearing necklaces similar to this dream catcher, another passion of mine. I have several of them throughout the house. It's one thing to read these stories in a history book, or learn about them in a history class. It's far more powerful to see it all play out on screen. I know for sure, that I could not have survived the brutality of the time, even though I've fantasized about it time after time. There was a mention of an ice storm that killed most of the cattle and detroyed the wheat. I can guarantee that it was a reference to soft-ball sized hail; although, it could have just been a severe winter.

Not only has this show been a history lesson, it has provided me with a much needed Black Hills "fix". I was fortunate to have lived there, even if it was only for a brief time. May 84 - Oct 87.

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home