Serendipity
the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for
Staying in South Dakota was pretty much a no-brainer. With the posse all off doing their own things, I really didn't want to go back home to be alone.
I've made all of my Ride arrangements and off I go to my first day at my new job, in my new state. I'm working the late shift, well, because I'm the new girl. The boss gets the perks of day shift, I'm sure she prayed about it. I had a brief introduction to the equipment, which were just kitchen gadgets, only the big industrial kind, sort of like the nursing home. Notice that when I applied for this job, it never occurred to me that I was qualified for this job. I hated the nursing home so badly; I had blocked it out of my memory. I'm sure I listed the nursing home in the previous employment section of the application. I received training on the dishwasher, with the warning, please be careful when removing this drain plug. The edges are sharp, it's a little tricky. BE CAFEFUL.
I realize immediately that this is going to be just like the nursing home, only I will be dealing with kids instead of old people. Old people have a permanent place in my heart, but its way more fun working with kids. I'm a quick study, you only have to tell me things once, I pretty much get it the first time. Now I am responsible for closing.
I met all the staff, and already had my favorites picked.
Barbara F. works in the office; her title is executive assistant, which we all know is a glorified receptionist/secretary. I'm drawn to her like a magnet. Barbara C. is one of the Day Care teachers, I'm also drawn to her. Then there is also DD my supervisor, she's Christian, and prays, but she prayed for me to have this job, permanent place in my heart. She is exactly my age and a virgin. And there is Terri, also a Day Care teacher; I'm drawn to her as well.
My last duty on my first day is to drain the dishwasher. I carefully follow all of the instructions that were provided earlier in the day. I reached my hand in to carefully pull that last tricky drain. And promptly sliced my wrist. Blinding pain. Blood everywhere. I instantly want to throw up, any time I have pain like that, it's my first reaction. I grabbed a towel, surveyed the situation and decided, yeah, I'm probably going to need stitches. What to do? I walked into the office, bleeding all over the place and said that I possibly could use a ride to the emergency room. The big boss comes out of her office and that's how I met Barbara CEO. She mothered me all the way to the emergency room, stayed with me while I received my six stitches and carted my ass home. As I got out of the car, she said she is having a get together at her house over the weekend, would you like to come, it will be a great way to meet everyone. Barbara CEO always mothered me from that day forward. It's always good to get tight with the boss, even if you have to injure yourself to do so.
What I've realized while writing this is that I had categorized my friends on that first day. Barbara F and I became fast friends. She showed me her secret stash of m&m's and peanuts in her desk. I was welcomed to help myself. We socialized outside of work. Through her, I met Brian, Bill, Bob, John, Roger, and Kathy. Guess what? A posse!
Barbara F is married and has 4 kids. Her husband is in the Air Force, and they are talking about getting a divorce. She's originally from New York. All the others are Air Force too, so they are transplanted as well. They accepted me into their group with open arms. I felt like I was at home.
The more friends I made, the more upset Deb became. I guess she was jealous that I was able to make friends so easily. I still went out with her and did things with her, but she just didn't fit in with my friends. She was always invited to join us, but she always declined. I also made friends with the people next door, offering to baby-sit for them if they ever needed me. They eventually got a divorce, and Steve and I became very close. He moved a couple buddies in from the base and there were some pretty awesome parties. Steve sold me an old beater, I think it was a 71 Pinto, I know it was red, and it was a beater for sure. But it was wheels. I didn't need The Ride anymore, and I actually got Gary B a job at Girl's Club teaching art. And I got a kitten, named her Ebony.
Things are getting a little intense between Deb and I. She was actually upset because I would leave Rufus home alone while I went out, while she was working. Seriously, now I am Rufus's companion? So I started taking him with me, I'm not sitting home keeping the dog company. Well, she wasn't very happy with that either. There were words exchanged.
Eventually I tell Barbara F about all this and she says why don't you just come and stay with me and the kids? She and her husband had separated and it would be really great if I could keep her company. I already love her kids, already love her friends, another no-brainer. I packed my things, and left Ebony with Deb. I would fetch her when I had a better idea of where I was going to end up.
Staying in South Dakota was pretty much a no-brainer. With the posse all off doing their own things, I really didn't want to go back home to be alone.
I've made all of my Ride arrangements and off I go to my first day at my new job, in my new state. I'm working the late shift, well, because I'm the new girl. The boss gets the perks of day shift, I'm sure she prayed about it. I had a brief introduction to the equipment, which were just kitchen gadgets, only the big industrial kind, sort of like the nursing home. Notice that when I applied for this job, it never occurred to me that I was qualified for this job. I hated the nursing home so badly; I had blocked it out of my memory. I'm sure I listed the nursing home in the previous employment section of the application. I received training on the dishwasher, with the warning, please be careful when removing this drain plug. The edges are sharp, it's a little tricky. BE CAFEFUL.
I realize immediately that this is going to be just like the nursing home, only I will be dealing with kids instead of old people. Old people have a permanent place in my heart, but its way more fun working with kids. I'm a quick study, you only have to tell me things once, I pretty much get it the first time. Now I am responsible for closing.
I met all the staff, and already had my favorites picked.
Barbara F. works in the office; her title is executive assistant, which we all know is a glorified receptionist/secretary. I'm drawn to her like a magnet. Barbara C. is one of the Day Care teachers, I'm also drawn to her. Then there is also DD my supervisor, she's Christian, and prays, but she prayed for me to have this job, permanent place in my heart. She is exactly my age and a virgin. And there is Terri, also a Day Care teacher; I'm drawn to her as well.
My last duty on my first day is to drain the dishwasher. I carefully follow all of the instructions that were provided earlier in the day. I reached my hand in to carefully pull that last tricky drain. And promptly sliced my wrist. Blinding pain. Blood everywhere. I instantly want to throw up, any time I have pain like that, it's my first reaction. I grabbed a towel, surveyed the situation and decided, yeah, I'm probably going to need stitches. What to do? I walked into the office, bleeding all over the place and said that I possibly could use a ride to the emergency room. The big boss comes out of her office and that's how I met Barbara CEO. She mothered me all the way to the emergency room, stayed with me while I received my six stitches and carted my ass home. As I got out of the car, she said she is having a get together at her house over the weekend, would you like to come, it will be a great way to meet everyone. Barbara CEO always mothered me from that day forward. It's always good to get tight with the boss, even if you have to injure yourself to do so.
What I've realized while writing this is that I had categorized my friends on that first day. Barbara F and I became fast friends. She showed me her secret stash of m&m's and peanuts in her desk. I was welcomed to help myself. We socialized outside of work. Through her, I met Brian, Bill, Bob, John, Roger, and Kathy. Guess what? A posse!
Barbara F is married and has 4 kids. Her husband is in the Air Force, and they are talking about getting a divorce. She's originally from New York. All the others are Air Force too, so they are transplanted as well. They accepted me into their group with open arms. I felt like I was at home.
The more friends I made, the more upset Deb became. I guess she was jealous that I was able to make friends so easily. I still went out with her and did things with her, but she just didn't fit in with my friends. She was always invited to join us, but she always declined. I also made friends with the people next door, offering to baby-sit for them if they ever needed me. They eventually got a divorce, and Steve and I became very close. He moved a couple buddies in from the base and there were some pretty awesome parties. Steve sold me an old beater, I think it was a 71 Pinto, I know it was red, and it was a beater for sure. But it was wheels. I didn't need The Ride anymore, and I actually got Gary B a job at Girl's Club teaching art. And I got a kitten, named her Ebony.
Things are getting a little intense between Deb and I. She was actually upset because I would leave Rufus home alone while I went out, while she was working. Seriously, now I am Rufus's companion? So I started taking him with me, I'm not sitting home keeping the dog company. Well, she wasn't very happy with that either. There were words exchanged.
Eventually I tell Barbara F about all this and she says why don't you just come and stay with me and the kids? She and her husband had separated and it would be really great if I could keep her company. I already love her kids, already love her friends, another no-brainer. I packed my things, and left Ebony with Deb. I would fetch her when I had a better idea of where I was going to end up.








5 Comments:
At 7:46 PM,
Angel Chasse said…
Hi Cindy,
I wanted to let you know that reading Rosie's blog, and reading your blog, make my day. I get down pretty easily... specially with things going on in this world... today even... so much to pray for/about.. geeesh.. anyway.. thanks for always writing. I read, absorb, and love ya for it :) *hugs*
Angel Chasse (again)
http://mciangel.blogspot.com
At 10:17 PM,
Nancy said…
So, you did form another posse! I knew you would!
Sorry about your wrist. That had to hurt.
I had a two toned pinto. Needless to say, it was ugly!
I am glad you found new friends in your new home!
At 12:03 AM,
Nancy said…
BTW, have you ever seen the movie Serendipity?
Great songs....Movie predictable, but fun.
At 3:25 PM,
A Flowered Purse said…
YAY I am all caught up!!!! It was awkward going backwards! I was confused with the new people LOL
Love
di
At 12:31 PM,
Anonymous said…
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. Backpacks ems Britney spears sexiest swimsuits http://www.challenger-t26b-circuit-breakers.info/management-stress-training-video.html Babysitter baby in the oven bentley cars for sale uk bonus casino download free plans+michigan+cell+phone+service Pappadaux seafood kitchen Asthma emergency Ray eames vitra lounge chair
Post a Comment
<< Home