Life Goes On

Monday, May 09, 2005

Spondylolisthesis

Spondylolisthesis, I own it.
I have the severe kind
My vertebrae not only slipped
It fell off
Steel rod, nuts and bolts
Bone grafts, which hurt the most
Intensive care for two days
Woke up from surgery on a ventilator
Now that was scary
Thought I was dead
No sound will come out
Doesn't feel like you're breathing
Scratching the sheets
Desperately trying to get someone's attention
At least it worked
They calmly explain
You've had major surgery
Like I forgot
We're keeping you in twilight
For 24 hours
Problem is, I'm awake
It's horrible like this
Scratching again
I spot a radio
I point to it
Eyes pleading, give me some music
Sure, what kind of music?
With my finger I trace a C
I would prefer classic rock
The psychic nurse sees the C
And puts on Country
Great, might be dead
Listening to beer drinking music

9 Comments:

  • At 7:41 AM, Blogger Angel Chasse said…

    LOL - I don't understand... LOL it's too early for me, I've been up since 530 - is your spine supposed to curve like that? I am assuming not? Well, I hope that whatever that problem is caused by, it doesn't hurt too much :(
    Have a good Monday!!!!
    Angel Chasse (again)
    http://mciangel.blogspot.com
    PS
    I see that Rosie turned her comments off again, I wonder what is up, I know I couldn't handle all those bad comments, if it were me... but we shall see :)

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I have never heard of Spondylolisthesis. Sorry that you had to go thru all of the pain of surgery and recovery.

    I hope you are better now. I have a friend with a rod in his back and he is in pain often. Gets bad headaches and stays in the shower until the hot water runs out. Sounds very painful.

    I had pins and plates in my ankle twice. They were removed both times after my broken ankle healed though. No more metal. No more note for security at airports either...............

     
  • At 1:19 PM, Blogger lightfeather said…

    Ouch! My "baby" has scoliosis and although she is only 18 she reminds me all the time that she has the back of a 50 year old. Hard for her to stand and work on her feet for long periods of time, and then the muscles cramp up. I see and feel her pain. So I know this is not good.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger A Flowered Purse said…

    that sounds terribly painful EEK and the xray looks painful. I am not sure much about that disease though, what other kinds of problems does it cause?
    take care
    Dianna

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Lois Lane said…

    I reckon you oughta sued them hospital folk for poisonin' yer ears. ;)
    All kidding aside, I hope you are recovered.
    Lois Lane

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Angel Chasse said…

    Yucko..
    Here's sending you a big hug, and some pain numbing magic :)
    I have a sister in law that is going to have 2 vertebrates fused.. she is very nervous about it. I am glad this very scary surgery part is done and over with though, and that you made it through .. even with the country music ;) lol
    Take care!!!!!!!!!
    Angel Chasse (again)
    PS -- see what i get the ONE morning I get up early? I interrupt you in the middle of a post :) lol

     
  • At 8:01 AM, Blogger author said…

    what was the C you wanted to listen to ?
    Sorry for this experience and resulting daily pain.
    Chronic pain can be so very debilitating emotionally.
    Good to see you combat that.
    thanks for sharing a bit of your history.

     
  • At 11:08 PM, Blogger JasonSchommer said…

    Cindy,

    Where to begin?

    First and most importantly...thank you for the comments on my blog. Loss is never easy for anyone, but it does help to know that others have walked through the darkness and found the light.

    So thank you.

    And a side note...I know your misery about the country music. When I had to have an MRI on my back they let me listen to head phones...the music started once I was stuffed into this tiny machine. It was country music. I hate country music. I kept shaking my head, trying to knock the headphones off. My movement ruined the images and we had to start again. Crazy, but true.

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Blogger author said…

    glad to know you aren't in constant pain. The numbness must wear thin too though.
    Seems like they could do something more for people who have these problems. sometimes I think they don't search hard enough for answers and new techniques.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home