Life Goes On

Saturday, April 29, 2006

United States Postal Service

Ok
Here's something
Let me know what you think

My mail carrier is an asshole
He uses rubber bands to attach
packages to my mailbox
Opens the mailbox door
Uses the rubber bands
Like bungi cords

I have asked him repeatedly
NOT TO DO THAT
Throw it on the ground
but please stop it
You are breaking my mailbox
To no avail

Or he will stop at the end of my driveway
Walk up and throw packages on my porch
While I'm standing there with the door open
To cheerfully accept them from him
He'll then walk back to his truck
Drive 3 feet to my mailbox
And stick mail in the mailbox
Is it me, or is that just ignorant?

I have complained about him
To his supervisor on countless occassions
We'll talk to him is all I get

Recently, my mailbox broke
Which I predicted months ago
I went and purchased a new one
One without the clip at the top
Asshole can't put anymore rubberbands on it

I walked out to the end of the driveway
The day after MAD installed the new box
I walked out there to speak to the mail carrier
To ask him to once again stop doing that
He drove right past me, as if I weren't there
And put mail in my box and proceeded to drive away
I was livid
I yelled HEY!
He slammed on the brakes and yelled out of his window
Is there a problem?
I said yes there is a problem
I wanted to ask you to not put rubber bands
on my mailbox anymore
He throws the truck in reverse
And yells what rubber bands?
Like he didn't know what I was talking about
I tried to calmly explain how I had to replace
The mailbox that he broke

And then this is what I got
"Well, I see you're on a walker
But you don't have a problem walking down
To the post office every day to complain
about me!"
And he took off down the street
As he was driving away
I yelled,
Well you can guaran-fucking-tee
That I will be walking down there
again right now to complain about your
ignorant, rude ass

I couldn't get back up the driveway fast enough
If you can imagine me running
go for it
But the music from The Wizard of Oz
You know, when the witch appears
Is going through my head
I came in the house and grabbed my keys
Jumped in the car
Flew down the hill
Doing the wide left around the mail asshole
He knows where I'm going

I walk into the post office
Asked to speak to the highest ranking person there
This supervisor, who I've complained to before
Comes out and asks me what the problem is
I explain to him everything that I've just written
Tell him I want to file a formal complaint
Since the problems that I have been having
Have not been resolved
I want it in writing
I want results
He assures me that he will speak to mail asshole's
immediate supervisor
I came home and took a xanax or three

Next day
I go out to get the mail
In between a couple envelopes
is a dead rubber band
I didn't think too much of it
Let it slide

The day after that
I go out to get the mail
Open the door
Reach in
Without looking
And touch something wiggly
The hair stands up on the back of my neck
I look in
There is a handfull of dead rubber bands!
Honest to God
I can't make this shit up
Wicked Witch of the West music

I jump in the car
With my handful of broken rubber bands
Fly down the hill
Mail asshole is nowhere to be seen
When he finishes my street
He goes to the last house on the right
and then goes to Chuck's Auto Body
On the left
He's nowhere, I'm looking
I was going to invite him along
I would have loved that!
But he's nowhere

I walk into the post office
Say to the girl behind the counter
Are you ready for this?
She laughs and says I don't know
I put my handfull of dead rubber bands on the counter
She says, you got to be kidding me
I say no, no kidding here
She says, I'll be right back

Several moments later
Fat supervisor, mail asshole's direct supervisor (woman)
and some skinny dude are all standing in front of me
I said to all of them
Don't you think this is just a little juvenile?
I hope you do, because I feel like a two year old
Standing here telling on my mail carrier
The woman says she is his direct supervisor
Asks me for complete details of all the problems
So I calmly go through the whole flipping nine yards
AGAIN
She assures me that she will have a speak with him
Ok, I feel better
The music is stopping
Back in the car
Ready to turn onto my street
And who is sitting at Chuck's Auto Body?
That would be mail asshole
Now I'm creeped out
He had to have been hiding
Waiting to see what I would do

The next day
Different mail carrier
I was expecting a package
From my computer chair
I can see it's a different carrier
He's coming out of the school
So I put my feet on
And walk out to the end of the driveway
The guy stops and laughs
He says God, don't tell me he makes you walk out here
We had a 10 minute conversation
About what an asshole dude is
He tells me nobody can stand him
He tells me I'm not the only one that complains
He tells me the only way to fire a postal worker
They have to catch him stealing
(I confirmed that with Joe)
He said cheer up
He only has about 5 more years until he retires
I laughed and said one of us is not going
To live that long
Aren't postal workers the ones that go POSTAL????
Isn't that where that expression came from?

I'm thinking about taping this to the inside
of my mailbox door

7 Comments:

  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    I am sooo happy you are back Cindy! I just read your story and was laughing so hard that I had to read it to David and Zoe. They too laughed, but are concerned about the asshole going postal. I suppose that close to retirement he will bide his time.

    The story cracked me up nonetheless. The wicked witch music. I can totally visualize the whole thing. You tell a good story and not just anybody can do that. This could have happened to anybody, but they couldn't have written it as humorous and real as you did!

    Seriously, I am happy you posted. Have a great weekend.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:16 AM, Blogger Carie said…

    lol my mail man sucks ass as well...I will be in my front yard playing with Ash when he brings the mail, Ash will run over there (every time) to get the mail, he ignores her and puts it in the box and slams and locks it up...ummm ok so we try to ignore it (Ken and I) but then one day she asks why he doesn't like her (so sweet and sad like) and he says he can not confirm she lives there and doesn't want the mail stolen, she has him wait...she runs to the house...comes out with school ID in hand (no joking) and gives it to him to look at as confirmation...lol the ass looked so shocked...well he gave her the mail, she ran it in and Ken kindly (ummm yeah right) let the man know if he ever treats Ash like that again there will be hell to pay, lol the man now says Hi Ashley and asks about school and even gave her a flower lol...its so funny

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Jaded said…

    Welcome back!!

    I have issues with my mail-skank as well. She will put the mail in the mailbox and then drive off without closing the door. I've had to chase my mail across the neighborhood any number of times. I asked her personally, and nicely, to please not do that. Then, on a really windy day about 2 months ago, I was standing on the porch waiting for one of my students, when she opens the box, throws the mail in and drives off without closing it. The mail immediately starts to blow out of the box and down the street. She just laughed. I called her a few choice names, then came in and called the post office. I told them that I've seen her sitting at the end of the street, reading the magazines she then delivers to the neighborhood, which is true. I told them that since I'm the one paying for the effin magazine, the fact that she's reading it for free is stealing from me. She's been a good girl ever since, but man does she shoot me dirty looks when she sees me. I just smile and wave!

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger for_the_lonely said…

    Ugh...so sorry to hear about all of that!!! We, too, had a run in with our mailman. The first week that we lived here, we had mail to go out. The mail was in the mail box, the flag was up...he parks his car in front of our house, walks right by our mail box, doesn't pick up our mail...wtf? I saw him coming back to his car after delivering the mail on our street ( he walks the mail to every home) and I said " Excuse me, but you didn't get our mail!" And do you know what he told me?? He said " if there isn't mail to deliver to your mailbox, then we do not have to pick up your mail." What the hell?????? So, he reluctently picked up our mail, while I came back into the house to call the local post office...they apparetnly talked to him, and he did get better about picking up the mail. But this guy is Mister Grumpy..he breaks branches off of trees, pulls weeds out of walkways...totally annoying. Now we have a female mail person. Jenn asked her what happened to the old guy and she said that he was on sick leave and that he had been for quite some time...we still have her as our mail lady..haven't seen the old man in a while..maybe he was attacked by dead rubber bands. LOL!!

    Love ya,
    Sarah

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger A Flowered Purse said…

    OMG Cindy i can't believe hes such an asshole. We had a mail man who used to open our packages to see what was in them. I complained and he was fired, cause i guess he was stealing. it had happened to the neighbors also. I can't believe he put those rubber bands in your box. What a jerk
    Many hugs
    Love
    di

     
  • At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home